You Shouldn't Fear Toxic Mold: Here's Why

Blog

Mold in homes is not uncommon, and not all molds are toxic. That's why the term "toxic mold" can be misleading. Only certain molds will produce toxic spores and only under certain circumstances. Even though a certain mold can become toxic, does not mean it will. And if it does, you must inhale enough of the mold spores for it cause illness. It is not likely that you or someone in your family can inhale enough spores to take in a toxic dose. 

1: "Toxic Molds" Aren't So Scary

Most molds commonly found in your home are unable to produce toxins, and both toxigenic molds and other molds can cause health problems. There are two types of mold that are known to produce toxic spores under the certain conditions:

  • Black mold is a greenish or black colored mold that is often found in flood damaged homes. 
  • The aspergillus family of molds is known to be toxigenic. They are more common than black mold but less potent. 

These molds produce mycotoxins when growing in the ideal environment, which includes a specific temperatures, moisture level, and pH. 

2: All Molds Can Cause Help Problems

Even though toxicity is not really an issue, any type of mold in your home can make you and your family sick. A variety of health problems can result from breathing in mold spores. 

  • Breathing problems
  • Mucous membrane irritation
  • Eye irritation
  • Worsening asthma symptoms
  • Coughing

Some people are allergic to mold spores and may have a more severe reaction to them. Those with existing health problems, the elderly, and children are often more susceptible to health problems due to free-floating mold in the home.

3: All Molds Removed The Same Way

The type of mold in your home does not change the way it is cleaned up. Mold removal specialists, like those at American Flood and Fire, use the same procedure get rid of the mold in your home whether you have a so-called "toxic mold" or another type of mold. And it is best to have professional contractors to help clean up after a flood or other water damage that causes mold growth. They have the proper safety gear and cleanup equipment to do the job thoroughly and safely. If you try to remove mold yourself, you risk breathing in free-floating spores that break free during cleanup.

If you've seen mold growing in your home or suspect you or your family members are having reactions to mold spores in the air, don't panic. It's most likely not toxic. You can have a professional come out and conduct a test. The contractor can find any mold growing in your home and help you get rid of it. 

Share

28 February 2015

Learn How To Restore Damage to Your Home

My entire life, I had always been terrified of tornadoes. While my husband would sometimes go outside and look at the strange hue of the sky, I'd find myself and my daughter huddled in the downstairs basement with our dog. Fortunately, my husband had enough sense to come downstairs with us during the tornado that took most of our house. My family almost lost everything. This was more than just a home. We had built it ourselves and poured our hearts and souls into it. I was determined to have our home restored to an exact replica of the original that we lost. I learned everything I could about damage contractors while trying to restore my home and I've developed a love for this topic that has inspired me to maintain a blog about it.